Best school holiday activities for the kids when staying in Sydney
Taking the whole family to Sydney during the school holidays is a great way to have fun and experience new places. Sydney has some wonderful sites you will want to make sure you take the kids to. Once you’ve booked in your accommodation at one of the hotels or serviced apartments Sydney has to offer, it’s time to make a list of some fun things to do. Check out these activities to get you started:
In the heart of the city:
- The Sydney Aquarium- The Sydney Aquarium is a great place to take kids of all ages. You are sure to enjoy it too! With daily shows, an amazing array of aquatic life and things for the little ones such as a ‘touch pool’ and school holiday activities, it is sure to please everyone.
- Sydney Wildlife World-Just next to the Sydney Aquarium is Sydney’s Wildlife World. To see all of Australia’s most well loved critters and reptiles, a trip here is a must, and the kids will love it. The added bonus is that it is right in the heart of Darling Harbour, so after a morning admiring the animals you can enjoy a waterfront lunch.
- The Powerhouse Museum- Sydney’s Powerhouse Museum has some great exhibitions running throughout the year and many of them are interactive so the kids can have fun playing and experiencing them. You are sure to get some enjoyment out of the visit too.
Free activities to be enjoyed:
- Darling Harbour comes alive in school holidays (especially in Summer) and often hosts wonderful free concerts and performances the whole family can enjoy. Take a picnic lunch and sit by the water while you enjoy live entertainment on a beautiful day. It doesn’t get much better than that!
- If your child enjoys arts and crafts or sing a longs, the Gallery of NSW and the MCA are two of Sydney’s major art spaces that often run school holiday programs for kids for free or minimal cost. To check out what’s on while you’ll be in Sydney, go online and look at their websites for full details.
Just outside the city:
- Jambaroo Recreation Park-About a two hour drive from Sydney is Jambaroo’s Recreation Park. Full of water slides, pools, and go carting, for a fun-filled day out the kids will love, this is the place to go.
- The Royal National Park- Just south of Sydney is the Royal National Park. A wonderful part of Sydney filled with jungle surrounded roads and walking paths. It makes for a great day trip, perfect for a family picnic. For the more adventurous family, while not try one of the more difficult treks through the park?
Once you’ve booked your accommodation in one of the many Sydney apartments or hotels, it’s a good idea to come up with a list of fun activities you all can enjoy whilst on your school holiday trip.
I hope we’ve given you some inspiration on some great activities you can enjoy whilst holidaying with your family in Sydney.